Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Modal Verbs: Can, Could, Should, and Must

 

Table of Contents

  1. What Are Modal Verbs?

  2. What Is Can?

  3. What Is Could?

  4. What Is Should?

  5. What Is Must?

  6. Can vs. Could

  7. Should vs. Must

  8. Common Mistakes

  9. Practice Exercises

  10. Frequently Asked Questions

  11. Final Thoughts

Modal Verbs in English: Can, Could, Should, and Must (Easy Guide)

Modal verbs are important in English. We use them every day when we speak and write. They help us express ability, permission, advice, obligation, and possibility.

In this lesson, you will learn how to use can, could, should, and must with easy explanations and examples.


What Are Modal Verbs?

Modal verbs are helping verbs. They come before the main verb in a sentence.

Examples:

  • I can swim.

  • You should study.

  • We must wear seat belts.

  • She could speak English when she was young.

Structure

Subject + Modal Verb + Base Verb

Examples:

  • I can drive.

  • She should eat healthy food.

  • They must leave now.

Notice that the main verb does not change after a modal verb.

✔ I can swim.

❌ I can swims.


Can

We use can to talk about:

1. Ability

It means someone knows how to do something.

Examples:

  • I can ride a bike.

  • She can cook.

  • They can speak English.

2. Permission

Examples:

  • Can I open the window?

  • You can use my pen.

3. Possibility

Examples:

  • It can get very hot in summer.

  • This road can be busy.


Could

Could is the past form of can, but it also has other uses.

1. Past Ability

Examples:

  • I could swim when I was five.

  • My grandfather could drive a truck.

2. Polite Requests

Examples:

  • Could you help me?

  • Could you repeat that?

These sound more polite than using can.

3. Possibility

Examples:

  • It could rain later.

  • She could be at home.


Should

We use should to give advice or recommendations.

Examples:

  • You should drink more water.

  • We should study every day.

  • He should go to the doctor.

Think of should as saying:

"This is a good idea."


Must

We use must when something is necessary or very important.

1. Obligation

Examples:

  • You must wear a helmet.

  • Students must follow school rules.

  • We must be on time.

2. Strong Advice

Examples:

  • You must try this cake.

  • You must watch this movie.


Can vs. Could

CanCould
Present abilityPast ability
Informal requestPolite request
Stronger possibilityLess certain possibility

Examples:

Can you help me?

Could you help me?

I can play the piano.

I could play the piano when I was six.


Should vs. Must

ShouldMust
AdviceObligation
Good ideaNecessary
OptionalRequired

Examples:

You should exercise every day.

You must wear your seat belt.

She should sleep early.

Employees must wear their ID cards.


Common Mistakes

Mistake 1

❌ She can sings.

✔ She can sing.


Mistake 2

❌ You should to study.

✔ You should study.


Mistake 3

❌ We must going.

✔ We must go.

Remember:

After can, could, should, and must, always use the base form of the verb.


Practice Exercises

Choose the correct answer.

1.

I ______ swim very well.

a. can

b. should

Answer: can


2.

You ______ eat more vegetables.

a. should

b. could

Answer: should


3.

Students ______ wear their school uniforms.

a. must

b. could

Answer: must


4.

______ you help me carry this bag?

a. Could

b. Must

Answer: Could


5.

When I was eight, I ______ ride a bicycle.

a. could

b. must

Answer: could


Frequently Asked Questions

What are modal verbs?

Modal verbs are helping verbs that show ability, advice, permission, possibility, or necessity.


What comes after a modal verb?

Always use the base form of the verb.

Example:

✔ She can dance.

❌ She can dances.


Is "must" stronger than "should"?

Yes.

Must means something is necessary.

Should means something is recommended.


Is "could" more polite than "can"?

Yes.

"Could you help me?" sounds more polite than "Can you help me?"


Final Thoughts

Learning can, could, should, and must will help you communicate more naturally in English. These four modal verbs are used in everyday conversations, school, work, and travel.

Remember these simple rules:

  • Can = ability, permission, possibility

  • Could = past ability, polite requests, possibility

  • Should = advice

  • Must = obligation or something very important

Practice using these modal verbs every day, and your English will become more confident and natural!


No comments:

Post a Comment