Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2026

10 Common Grammar Tense Mistakes ESL Learners Make


Learning English tenses isn't always easy. Many ESL learners make the same grammar mistakes, even after years of studying. The good news is that these mistakes are easy to fix once you know the correct grammar.

Here are the 10 most common grammar tense mistakes and how to avoid them.


1. Using Present Simple Instead of Present Continuous

❌ Wrong: I eat dinner now.

✅ Correct: I am eating dinner now.

Remember: Use the Present Continuous for actions happening right now.


2. Forgetting the "-s" in the Present Simple

❌ Wrong: She work every day.

✅ Correct: She works every day.

Remember: Add -s or -es after he, she, and it.


3. Using Present Perfect with a Finished Time

❌ Wrong: I have seen that movie yesterday.

✅ Correct: I saw that movie yesterday.

Remember: Use the Past Simple with words like yesterday, last week, and last year.


4. Confusing "Since" and "For"

❌ Wrong: I have lived here since five years.

✅ Correct: I have lived here for five years.

Remember:

  • Since = starting point
  • For = length of time

5. Using "Will" Instead of "Going To"

❌ Wrong: I will visit my grandparents this weekend. (when it's already planned)

✅ Correct: I am going to visit my grandparents this weekend.

Remember: Use going to for plans.


6. Using "Will" After "When"

❌ Wrong: I'll call you when I will arrive.

✅ Correct: I'll call you when I arrive.

Remember: After when, use the Present Simple.


7. Forgetting Irregular Past Verbs

❌ Wrong: Yesterday I buy a new bag.

✅ Correct: Yesterday I bought a new bag.

Remember: Some verbs have special past forms.


8. Mixing Past Simple and Past Continuous

❌ Wrong: I watched TV when my friend was calling.

✅ Correct: I was watching TV when my friend called.

Remember: Use the Past Continuous for the longer action and the Past Simple for the shorter action.


9. Changing Tenses in the Same Sentence

❌ Wrong: Yesterday I went shopping and buy some shoes.

✅ Correct: Yesterday I went shopping and bought some shoes.

Remember: Keep the same tense unless the time changes.


10. Using the Wrong Time Expression

❌ Wrong: I am living here since 2020.

✅ Correct: I have lived here since 2020.

Remember: Use the Present Perfect with since and for when the action started in the past and continues today.


Final Thoughts

Everyone makes grammar mistakes while learning English. The important thing is to notice your mistakes and practice the correct forms. Start with these 10 common tense mistakes, and you'll sound more natural and confident every day.

Quick Tip

When you're not sure which tense to use, ask yourself one simple question:

"When did the action happen?"

The answer will usually help you choose the correct tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment