Using “very” is one of the easiest ways to emphasize an adjective in English.
For example:
- very tired
- very happy
- very cold
- very difficult
- very beautiful
There is nothing wrong with using “very.” However, if you use it too often, your English can sound repetitive. A great way to improve your vocabulary is to replace “very + adjective” with a stronger, more specific word.
Here are 10 useful English words you can use instead of “very.”
1. Very Happy → Delighted
Instead of saying:
❌ I was very happy to see you.
You can say:
✅ I was delighted to see you.
Delighted means extremely happy or pleased.
Example:
She was delighted with her exam results.
This word is especially useful in formal and professional English.
2. Very Tired → Exhausted
If you're extremely tired, exhausted is a much stronger word.
Instead of:
❌ I’m very tired after work.
Say:
✅ I’m exhausted after work.
Example:
I was exhausted after traveling for 12 hours.
💡 Tip: “Exhausted” means more than simply “tired.”
3. Very Hungry → Starving
When you are extremely hungry, you can use starving.
Instead of:
❌ I’m very hungry.
Say:
✅ I’m starving!
Example:
I skipped breakfast, so I’m starving now.
⚠️ In everyday conversation, “I’m starving” usually means “I’m extremely hungry,” not literally that you are dying from hunger.
4. Very Cold → Freezing
When the weather is extremely cold, use freezing.
Instead of:
❌ It’s very cold today.
Say:
✅ It’s freezing today!
Example:
Take a jacket. It’s freezing outside.
This is a very common expression in everyday English.
5. Very Hot → Boiling
If something is extremely hot, especially the weather, you can say boiling.
Instead of:
❌ It’s very hot today.
Say:
✅ It’s boiling today!
Example:
It was boiling when we arrived in Bangkok.
Of course, this doesn't mean the temperature is literally 100°C. It's an informal way to say extremely hot.
6. Very Beautiful → Gorgeous
Instead of repeatedly saying “very beautiful,” try gorgeous.
❌ She looks very beautiful.
✅ She looks gorgeous.
Gorgeous means extremely beautiful or attractive.
Example:
The beach was absolutely gorgeous.
You can use it to describe people, places, clothes, views, and things.
7. Very Difficult → Challenging
For something that requires a lot of effort or is difficult to do, challenging can be a more natural choice.
Instead of:
❌ The exam was very difficult.
Try:
✅ The exam was challenging.
Example:
Learning a new language can be challenging, but it's also rewarding.
💡 Tip: “Challenging” often sounds more positive than “difficult” because it suggests something is difficult but possible to overcome.
8. Very Important → Essential
If something is extremely important or necessary, use essential.
Instead of:
❌ Good communication is very important at work.
Say:
✅ Good communication is essential at work.
Example:
Regular practice is essential for improving your English.
This word is especially useful for academic and professional English.
9. Very Small → Tiny
Instead of saying very small, you can use tiny.
❌ The apartment is very small.
✅ The apartment is tiny.
Example:
We stayed in a tiny hotel room.
Tiny means extremely small.
10. Very Big → Huge
Instead of:
❌ There was a very big crowd outside.
Say:
✅ There was a huge crowd outside.
Huge means extremely large or big.
Example:
They live in a huge house.
This is a very common word in everyday English.
📌 Quick Guide: Replace “Very” with Stronger Words
| Instead of… | Try… |
|---|---|
| Very happy | Delighted |
| Very tired | Exhausted |
| Very hungry | Starving |
| Very cold | Freezing |
| Very hot | Boiling |
| Very beautiful | Gorgeous |
| Very difficult | Challenging |
| Very important | Essential |
| Very small | Tiny |
| Very big | Huge |
Why Should You Avoid Using “Very” Too Much?
Again, “very” isn't a bad word. Native speakers use it all the time.
The problem is using it for almost every adjective:
very good
very nice
very interesting
very beautiful
very difficult
very important
Learning stronger vocabulary gives you more choices and can make your English sound more natural and expressive.
Compare:
Basic:
The movie was very good.
More expressive:
The movie was fantastic.
Or:
Basic:
I'm very tired.
More expressive:
I'm exhausted.
The second sentence gives the listener a clearer idea of how you feel.
🎯 Easy Tip for ESL Learners
When you catch yourself using “very + adjective,” stop and ask:
“Is there a stronger word I can use?”
For example:
very tired → exhausted
very hungry → starving
very cold → freezing
You don't need to replace “very” every time. Just try to learn a few stronger words and use them when they fit naturally.
Final Thought
Improving your English vocabulary isn't always about learning complicated words. Sometimes, it's simply about choosing a more precise word.
So the next time you want to say “very tired,” try “exhausted.”
Instead of “very cold,” try “freezing.”
And instead of “very big,” try “huge.”
.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment