Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

10 Natural Ways to Say “I Don’t Know” in English


Saying “I don’t know” is perfectly correct, but using the same phrase every time can make your English sound repetitive.

In everyday conversations, native speakers use many different expressions depending on the situation. Here are 10 natural ways to say “I don’t know” in English.

1. I’m not sure.

A simple and polite way to say you don't know.

Example:
“I’m not sure what time the store closes.”

2. I have no idea.

Use this when you really don't know the answer.

Example:
“Where is Tom?”
“I have no idea!”

3. I’m not certain.

This sounds a little more formal.

Example:
“I’m not certain, but I think the meeting starts at 10.”

4. I’m not sure about that.

Use this when you're unsure about specific information.

Example:
“Is this the right address?”
“I’m not sure about that.”

5. I couldn’t tell you.

A natural conversational expression meaning “I don’t know.”

Example:
“How much does it cost?”
“I couldn’t tell you.”

6. Your guess is as good as mine.

This means you don't know either.

Example:
“When will they arrive?”
“Your guess is as good as mine.”

7. I haven’t got a clue.

This informal British expression means “I have no idea.”

Example:
“Where did I put my phone?”
“I haven’t got a clue!”

8. I’m afraid I don’t know.

A polite way to say you don't know, especially in customer service or formal situations.

Example:
“Could you tell me where Room 205 is?”
“I’m afraid I don’t know.”

9. I’ll have to check.

Use this when you don't know the answer right now, but can find out.

Example:
“What time is our flight?”
“I’ll have to check.”

10. I’m not familiar with that.

Use this when you don't know much about a topic.

Example:
“Have you heard of that restaurant?”
“No, I’m not familiar with it.”

💡 Which One Should You Use?

  • Casual: “I have no idea.” / “I haven’t got a clue.”
  • Neutral: “I’m not sure.”
  • Polite: “I’m afraid I don’t know.”
  • Professional: “I’ll have to check.”
  • When you're unsure: “I’m not certain.”

Final Tip

You don't always need to say “I don’t know.” Learning different expressions can make your English sound more natural, flexible, and confident.

Try using one of these phrases in your next English conversation! 🗣️✨


No comments:

Post a Comment